Thursday, September 30, 2010

9/27-10/1 Blog # 2

One place that I have visited lately was the city of Syracuse. I went there about two weeks ago to watch my first ever Syracuse Orange football game and they are one of my favorite football schools. Every year since I was 10 years old I have went to a football camp held by the Syracuse coaching staff. I have always had a great deal of respect for Syracuse and one day it would be a dream if I could go to school there. When I went to Syracuse two weeks ago though, I had a great time as expected. My brother, Nick Foss, Alex Blood, Nick Muscarella, and Coach Currin were already up at Syracuse well before the game for a tour of the campus. My parents and I went to the game later in the day because I had a game in the morning. When we arrived at the Carrier Dome I got to sit with my brother and his friends. It was a very electric atmosphere that was loud and there were many fans that were into the game. At first though, there was a little bit of a scare as Syracuse was to Maine at one point, but they battled their way back and ended up winning the game. The game was a blast and I loved the atmosphere in Syracuse. Everything about the Carrier Dome was awesome. One reason I really appreciate Syracuse is because of the amount of history that is involved with that program. In the 1950’s Syracuse produced one of the best running backs ever in Jim Brown. Many people said at the time there will never be a running back better than Jim Brown. Brown was number 44. Well little did people know there was a great high school running back in Elmira, New York. His name was Ernie Davis. Davis was a top recruit who was considering not going to Syracuse, but Jim Brown ended up meeting Ernie Davis and talking him into going to Syracuse. Now people realized there was somebody better than Jim Brown and it was Ernie Davis. Davis led the Orange to the only National Championship in 1952. Davis was also the first Native American to win the Heisman Trophy. Shortly after that, Davis was getting ready for the NFL, but a tragedy occurred. Davis was diagnosed with Leukemia and died within 9 months. Davis also was 44. Before he died he meant the next top football recruit in Floyd Little. Little was considering Notre Dame heavily until he talked to Davis. Little ended up going to Syracuse and had a great career. Little also was 44.The irony of this is that all of these running backs wore number 44. That’s why number 44 is retired at Syracuse. I think it would be amazing if I could one day go to the same college these men went to. Knowing that information made my trip to the Carrier Dome much more interesting. I had a blast at Syracuse and I can’t wait until the next time I go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment